Problem: Need to extend the reiserfs formatted partition /dev/sda2 mounted as /.
- Get your desired live cd and boot from it.
- Use cfdisk /dev/sda or fdisk /dev/sda to change partition tables of your disks. First note the start cyclinder of the current parition! Delete the existing partition /dev/sda2.
- Create a new partition /dev/sda2 with the identical start cylinder (!), in my case toggle the bootable flag and select type 83 (linux).
- Write all changes back to disk and reboot again with the livecd
- aptitude install reiserfsprogs
- resize_reiserfs /dev/sda2
Now you should be done and have a grown reiserfs parition. The same way you are able to shrink your parition.