If you are owning an iPad 3G you’re willing to use with your current data tariff. This involves one hurdle: Apple decided to use a micro SIM card slot instead of the traditional mini SIM cards used. But this is no problem, you need to do some hard work. Aware, this step is irreversible in any case. You may get an micro SIM adapter to plug your self made micro SIM card in mini SIM card slots after doing this job.
- You need to place both cards side by side until the golden contacts are covered.
- Mark these positions, e.g. by using a black fine liner
- Cut plastics around, do not cut any golden contacts! I made it with typical scissors for office use.
- Fine-tuning your model, e.g. use sand paper or a lumpy wall to optimize the fitting.
- Finally just plug in your card and the network should be detected automatically. You need to set your APN settings in the category “Celluar Data”.
The entire process takes less than five minutes. If you decide to perform these steps, keep in mind, you are doing them on your own and only you are responsible for any damage.